Postdoc positions | NOMATEN2020.10.15 16:00 - Anna Sawińska
Advanced Multifunctional Materials Science
NOMATEN Center of Excellence
National Nuclear Research Center (NCBJ),
NOMATEN Center of Excellence is formed through a partnership between NCBJ (Poland), CEA (France) and VTT (Finland) with joint financial support from the Foundation for Polish Science (FNP) and the European Commission. It is currently composed of 4 Research Groups and is directed by Mikko Alava. NOMATEN focuses on the characterization, analysis and development of advanced multifunctional materials, specifically those designed to work in extreme conditions, with primary examples being radiation, high temperature and corrosion.
Read more about NOMATEN development at http://nomaten.ncbj.gov.pl
Multiple positions exist on the PhD student levels in all NOMATEN Research Groups conducting research in the field of:
Functional Materials Complexity: mechanical properties (yielding, time-dependent fracture) to the role and understanding of the microstructure in determining such properties. We also work on Machine Learning approaches in complex materials. Key words of importance are metal alloys, and High-Entropy Alloys in particular.
Preferred background: Statistical mechanics, computational simulations, machine learning.
Contact person: Stefanos Papanikolaou (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Corrosion and Characterisation: in-situ study of phenomena between surface of functional materials and environment, including but not limited to aqueous solutions. Key challenges are: elevated temperature, varying temperature duty cycles, radiation and magnetic fields. The research methodology combines electrochemistry, high resolution microscopy, mass spectrometry and ion beam analysis of surface.
Preferred background: Experimental experience in chemical/materials engineering or physics.
Contact person: Mikko Alava (email@example.com).
Structure and Function: The Functional Properties group is studying impact of radiation damage on the mechanical and structural properties. Specific topics covering materials devoted to Gen. III+ and IV nuclear reactors like: stainless steels, ODS and HEAs, Al2O3 coatings, zirconium and nickel alloys will be proposed. Experiments will be conducted on ion damaged materials and at their working temperatures by using specific techniques like: nanoindentation, X-ray diffraction, tensile tests and Raman spectroscopy. Structural properties are determined by means of SEM/FIB/EBSD/EDS and TEM.
Preferred background: Materials science, materials engineering, nuclear engineering, mechanics.
Contact person: Lukasz Kurpaska (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Materials Informatics and Characterization: Emulating the behaviour and performance of materials in mechanical loading applications, through the use of multiscale material simulations, machine learning methods and material characterization techniques. Methods of interest: Ab-Initio Density Functional Theory (DFT), Molecular Dynamics (MD), Discrete Dislocation Dynamics (DDD), and Continuum phenomenological Plasticity and Damage (CPD) modeling.
Preferred background: Multiscale modeling, mechanical characterization, applied physics/math.
Contact person: Stefanos Papanikolaou (email@example.com)
Our ambition is to build a team composed of world-leading researchers and young, highly motivated people who are passionate about multifunctional materials science.
National Centre for Nuclear Research (NCBJ), ul.Andrzeja Sołtana 7, 05-400 Otwock, Poland (Suburb of Warsaw, efficient and free daily bus transport service provided). .
11,250 - 15,000 PLN per month (at current exchange rate 2,600- 3,300 € per month); the details in each case depend on qualifications and experience, and the compensation is composed of the base salary, seniority addition, functional addition and project bonus)
Read more about contributions in Poland at https://www.ncbj.gov.pl/en/hrcareer/contributions-poland.
- Work in international networks with research institutes and industrial companies.
- Access to the research potential of NOMATEN’s three partners between NCBJ (Poland), CEA (France) and VTT (Finland).
- Travel funds for participation in conferences and collaboration, attractive working conditions, atmosphere of teamwork, family-friendly environment with flexible working hours. support of an experienced local team in legal, financial and organisational issues as well as logistic support and advice related to working in Poland - enabling smooth relocation and equal opportunities. .
- Cover letter that explains the motivating factors for considering the position (max. 1 pp)
- CV with complete publication list
- Brief description of important scientific achievements and scientific outlook (max. 2 pp)
- Two references letters, arranged by applicants and directly submitted by the letter writers before the application deadline.
As an attachment to your application please sign and enclose the following declaration: I agree to the processing of my personal data included in this application for the needs necessary to carry out the recruitment.
Application deadline: December 14th, 2020
Applications electronic form in English should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Centre for Nuclear Research is awarded by “HR Excellence in Research”. Recruitment in NOMATEN is based on OTM-R system (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment practices in Research Performing Organisations).
Candidates may be asked to provide additional documents. In the selection process, short-listed candidates will be interviewed in person or remotely
Position expected to start on: March 1th, 2021
INFORMATION CLAUSE ON PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING:
1. The controllers of the personal data processed during the recruitment process are:
a) National Center for Nuclear Research, ul. Andrzeja Sołtana 7, 05-400 Otwock and
b) Foundation for Polish Science, ul. I. Krasickiego 20/22, 02-611 Warszawa.
2. The data protection officer can be contacted by using the following address:
a) Personal Data Protection Officer, National Centre for Nuclear Research, Sołtana 7, 05-400 Otwock, Poland
b) email@example.com 3. Providing data contained in recruitment documents is a condition for applying for a job at NCBJ.
4. Processing of the personal data for the purpose of filling the position listed in this announcement and to conduct subsequent recruitment is done on the basis of expressed consents. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of the processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
5. Your personal data will not be made available to other data recipients.
6. Your personal data will not be transferred to a third country or to an international organization. 7. No automated individual decision-making and profiling as referred in Article 22 (1) and (4) GDPR is done during recruitment conducted by NCBJ. This means that no decisions regarding job candidates are made automatically and that no job candidate profiles are made.
8. In the case you have been unsuccessful in applying for the position listed in this announcement and you haven’t given consent to store the collected personal data in the NCBJ recruitment database, your data will be erased no later than 12 years from the completion of recruitment process, but no longer than the date of the end of the durability period of the project, which will find its basis in the provisions governing project financing.
9. You have the right to access your personal data, request its rectification or erasure. Filing a request to erase data is tantamount to withdrawal from the recruitment process. You have also the right to request restriction of processing in cases specified in Article 18 GDPR.
10. You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (President of the Office for Personal Data Protection) about unlawful processing of your personal data. The right to file a complaint only concerns the lawfulness of the processing of personal data, not the recruitment process.