PhD scholarships2019.06.25 12:01 - Anna Sawińska
National Centre for Nuclear Research (NCBJ) opens competition for two doctoral scholarships in the project SONATA BIS 2018/30/E/ST9/00082 (founded by National Science Centre): „ASTROdust: a complete census of dust attenuation in galaxies based on the analysis of millions of galaxies observed by Herschel”.
The scholarship is PLN 3500 per month gross (for first two years, the third year: 4500 PLN per month gross).
The main objectives of the scholarship are related to the AstroDust project for which the main goal is to statistically investigate the attenuation of dust in galaxies and its dependence on the types of galaxies in different space ages. For the analysis, it will use a unique sample of one million galaxies observed in the infrared by the Herschel satellite. In the project, we are planning to construct the correct attenuation curves for different types of galaxies and to examine how they have evolved over the past 10 billion years. This will lead to a re-evaluation of the basic physical properties of star-forming galaxies. Moreover, the statistically huge sample of galaxies will allow using machine learning algorithms to classify different types of infrared galaxies according to their dust properties.
The students will be collaborating with an international team of astrophysicists and statisticians. They are going to participate in the local and international conferences as well as in the dedicated schools. It is possible to stay for the training period in France during the doctoral studies.
The successful candidates have to qualify for doctoral studies at NCBJ Graduate School of Physics and Chemistry (send the application in time and pass the exam).
The successful candidates are expected to start his/her research in October 2019.
Contact Dr. Katarzyna Małek, Project Leader, (Katarzyna.Malek@ncbj.gov.pl) for more information.
- MSc college degree in physics/astronomy, application of computers in physics, or a similar specialization,
- very good command of written/spoken English (writing scientific reports and documentation, fluent verbal communication),
- very good knowledge of at least one programming language using for data analysis (as Python, R, C++ or similar) and the UNIX/LINUX environment
- involvement in scientific research, analytical skills, thinking independence combined with good communication/team-work skills.
- Curriculum Vitae
- a statement of research interests and achievements, your motivation for pursuing a doctoral program,
- description of scientific output (list of publications, scholarships, participation in scientific conferences etc.),
- contact data (e-mail, phone number, institution) to 1-2 reference person(s) who may recommend the candidate,
- copy of college diploma: for graduates of Polish universities this is the Master’s degree, for others it is the degree required as a prerequisite for a PhD degree in the country where it was awarded,
- college transcripts (complete).
E-mail your application before July 16th 2019 to Katarzyna.Malek@ncbj.gov.pl specifying „[AstroDust]” in the mail Subject field.
Selected applicants will be interviewed. Date of the interview will be individually e-mailed to each invited applicant.
The recruitment process will be finished on July 20th, 2019. Then the successful candidate has 10 days to submit his/her application to NCBJ Graduate School of Physics and Chemistry. The exam will be conducted in early September.
As an attachment to your application please sign and enclose the following declaration:
I agree to the processing of my personal data included in this application for the needs necessary to carry out the recruitment.
I agree / I do not agree to store my personal data in the NCBJ recruitment database for a period of 12 months, since the submission of this application, related to potential future recruitment processes.