Student scholarships - monitoring of the astronomical observation system operating in the deserts| BP42023.05.28 11:59 - Anna Sawińska
The National Centre for Nuclear Research (NCBJ) invites applications for 5-month scholarships in the OPUS19 project 2020/37/B/ST9/01821 financed by the National Science Centre (NCN) "Search for macroscopic dark matter with high-sensitivity ground-based and space-based cameras".
The scholarship amount is about PLN 1,000 per month with an allowance depending on the assigned tasks.
Outline of the task:
Selected candidates will participate in the DIMS (Dark Matter and Interstellar meteoroid Study) project. We remotely operate four high sensitivity cameras at the Telescope Array cosmic ray observatory in a dry desert in Utah, USA. The main task of the scholarship holders will be to monitor the system’s health and the environmental data. This task is expected to last at least until the end of September 2023 to mitigate the challenges posed by extreme temperatures.
Scholarship holders will share the monitoring shifts with other holders and our staff. These shifts can be scheduled in a way that does not interfere with their university lectures and other obligations. For scholarship holders who are interested, we can provide a part of the data obtained at the observation sites including a large number of the night sky video of meteor events. The improvement of the system’s software may be an interesting topic. Provided that the main task is properly performed, scholarship holders can also engage in additional tasks for the more advanced studies.
- Student status in accordance with the NCN Regulations §3 sec. 3;
The regulations for the implementation of projects are available at: https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2019/uchwa...
- Communicative skill of English to cooperate with international project members
- Basic computer operation skills of Windows, the Internet, word processing and spreadsheets
- Knowledge of the Python programming language and Linux operating system is desired in the case of performing advanced tasks
- A reliable Internet connection if the scholarship holders perform the main task remotely
- Cover letter with e-mail address
- Curriculum Vitae
- Information about the candidate in accordance with the Regulations of the NCN, Section 3, Paragraph 12 (candidate's scientific achievements, including list of publications, scientific achievements, scholarships, awards, and scientific experience gained in the country or abroad, scientific workshops and training, participation in research projects, competencies for carrying out specific tasks in a research project);
- any other documents that may have an impact on the evaluation (e.g., examination score sheets, transcripts) or references (letters or reference persons including their positions and contact details (e-mail address);
Document submission: Please send your applications in the electronic (PDF) forms to: Magdalena.Jedrkiewicz@ncbj.gov.pl
Contact: Dr. Kenji Shinozaki Astrophysics Division BP4 NCBJ, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We reserve the right to contact only selected candidates and the right to inform about the decision to fill the post only to the selected candidate.
As an attachment to your application please sign and enclose the following declarations:
I agree for my personal data included in the application documents to be processed by National Centre for Nuclear Research with its registered office in Otwock, 7 Andrzej Sołtan Street, 05-420 Otwock, for a period of 12 months from their submission, in order to carry out future recruitment processes.
Information in accordance with Article 13 RODO on the processing of personal data:
- The Personal Data Controller of your personal data is the National Centre for Nuclear Research (hereinafter referred to as Controller or NCBJ) with its registered office in Otwock, 7 Andrzej Sołtan Street, 05-400 Otwock.
- Your personal data will be processed for recruitment purposes on the basis of applicable law, including the Labour Code. Data not required by law, provided by you in your documents, will be processed on the basis of your consent. Your consent is given by the transfer of this data.
- The full content of the information clause of Article 13 RODO is available at https://www.ncbj.gov.pl/en/information-clause-personal-data-processing
The National Centre for Nuclear Research is awarded by “HR Excellence in Research”. Recruitment is based on OTM-R system (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment practices in Research Performing Organisations).